Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Vegetation - Trees & Grass/Shrub

The buildings vegetation had to all be recreated. Our last fabrication displayed the on site plants as hedges. We've now researched that the plants should be in fact pine or cedar trees. There were no such tree in Crysis and I also tried to export a 3ds max tree into Crysis, but the export failed as there were to many face and objects errors to allow for successful exportation.
I began to designing our trees but editing some of the existing vegetation entities in the Crysis library. I used three different objects to create this:
  • a mid sized forest tree (seen in fig 1. on the left) that I scaled to suit a shape of a pine tree. Widing the base and shaping the tree to a smaller point
  • a small bush (seen in fig 1. in the middle) that I used to fill out the mid sized forest tree. Giving it a thicker look.
  • A fallen log (seen in fig 1. on the right) that I scaled to resemble a tree truck

With these 3 items I merged the to assemble my tree, I then group the items as a singular tree.

Fig 1.) The 3 different geom entities I used to create my pine tree

Fig 1.) "Copy instance" the individual trees to create a line of trees

Fig 1.) Using the lines of tress to then shape a circle of trees

Fig 1.) Then grouping those lines of tree to one item. So that they can easily maneuvered

Fig 1.) Starting the same process of the second tier

Fig 1.) The 3rd tier of trees

Fig 1.) The trees now applied to there positions

Fig 1.) Creating some sort of grass or earth so that the trees dont look as if there coming out of concrete planters themselves

Fig 1.) Using the same process as the trees to create a circular shape of the planters

Fig 1.) The trees and grass as viewed from gameplay

No comments:

Post a Comment