Monday, May 4, 2009

Project Progress - Custom Textures in Crysis

Adding Custom Textures from Crysis

Because we exported from 3dsmax to Crysis, all of our existing textures were lost during the process. I had to start re-texturing from scratch through Crysis. I was determined to use our existing custom jpeg textures done in 3dsmax. And found some tutorials on how to use custom textures off Crymod and other various video links.
I trialed a few ways of doing but came unstuck, when trying to apply the jpeg/tiff image.
The process involves converting all my jpeg textures into dds files. As photoshop does not have the ability to do this, I downloaded a open source software called paint.net.
From there I converted the files and also resized the images 128x128 pixels.

Then from crysis, I opened "material editor" inside the view tab and selected the desired object to be materialised. After a few unsuccessful goes at linking my dds file image. I had discovered I had been assigning materials by selecting any default material then editing its features to what I wanted.

However once I did this, saved my work and opened up my crysis file again, all my work had been lost and the default texture would be applied, not my custom materials.
i then discovered the correct way in applying custom materials through a tutorial I found and from my classmate Eva.

Step 1.

  • Go to view
  • Open view plane > Material Editor
  • Select Add new item icon
  • Create a folder named "textures" inside your project folder, inside of crysis

eg. C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis\Game\Levels\Cenotaph\Textures

  • Save the new texture as a material file (*.mtl)
  • it should now appear in the hierachy menu on the left of the Material Editor

Fig 1.) Material Editor

Fig 2.) Creating a new .mtl item to assign materials

Step 2.

  • Locate any image file you wish to use
  • download a image editor like Paint.net (free software), photoshop will not work
  • open the image up in Paint.net
  • resize the image 128x128 pixels
  • save as a .dds (direct draw surface) file in the texture folder you create in the last step

Fig 3.) Using Paint.net program to resize and convert file

Fig 4.) Saving specifically to a .dds file and position it into a texture folder inside crysis

Step 3.

In crysis:

  • Select the object you want to materialise
  • click Assign Material to Selection icon in your Material Editor
  • select the new material file you just created in the hierachy menu
  • Go to Texture Maps inside the material editor
  • In Diffuse > open up the browser and assign your .dds file you created from Paint.net

From there you can assign a mulititude or different options and UV map looks.
In this material editor, many different properties could be modified and manipulated. It gave you a wide range of options to create a unique and innovative new texture, for eg:

  • bump map
  • glossy

  • opacity

  • sub surface

  • and many more
Because crysis' ability to control every facet of materials I felt as if we should take advantage of this and played with a few different designs. I came up with some striking new designs and discused it with my team. We came to a final design conclusion and these photos below illustrates the development of what we came up with so far.
Below are some screenshots of the processed i went through in developing a textured building.

Fig 5.) Assigning material


Fig 6.) Changing properties



Fig 7.) Changing UV tile maps

Fig 8.) Draft texture design one




Fig 9.) Draft texture design two


Fig 10.) Draft texture design three

Fig 11.) Finding sandstone image to use




Fig 12.) Importing texture to outer walls

Fig 13.) Interior Materials

No comments:

Post a Comment